Friday 11 November 2011

Men's Fashion Market



I recently had an email form Asos regarding a role I applied for as the Men's Fashion Assistant.
When I saw this role advertised I jumped at the chance to apply, as I had just finished Freelancing for Esquire magazine also as a Fashion Assistant.

I really enjoyed working in a magazine environment, and watching the whole team come together to create covers, features and ideas weekly.

I didn't realise I would enjoy working in Men's fashion so much, after lusting over so many women's trends and having an intense addiction to women's magazines and trends I genuinely thought women's fashion would most definitely be my niche, but when I started at Esquire I really did find my calling!
I found that working at a Men's magazine was so much more laid back, from the personalities to the fashion and that's what I loved about it.

Asos asked me to write a 200 words piece on my thoughts of the Men's Fashion Market, and here are my thoughts...

"I am personally really interested in the men’s fashion market because there is still so much movement in the men’s fashion industry and opportunity for growth.

I find that women’s fashion is a much more saturated market as every woman knows exactly what she likes and what she doesn’t like leaving less gaps for marketing. Where as the difference with men’s fashion is that you still have the ability to influence men and their choices of what to wear and how to wear it, for example, with a bright coloured chino or even other exiting trends like corduroy’s.

Currently in menswear there has been a slight financial crisis that has hit the market, but men are seeking a softer look for their wardrobes, and want to be showed how to dress their best for less and I think Asos is the perfect retailer for this.

Men are looking for excitement, and generally want to buy what they have seen in the latest trends leaving a much more open-minded audience to market to. Working for Esquire magazine showed me how laid back the men’s fashion industry is from the personalities to the fashion and that’s what I truly love about it. "

No comments:

Post a Comment